Babson Study Confirms Strategic Importance of Online

The latest Babson (formerly Sloan-C) study on the state of online learning in the U.S. was released last week. (Babson study link) Going the Distance: Online Education in the United States 2011, by Elaine Allen and Jeff Seaman is the ninth annual report in this series, which represents both the broadest survey of online learning among over 2500 higher education institutions, and the longest ongoing study of this phenomenon.

Several findings I find noteworthy include:

• The general acceptance of online learning’s strategic importance to a wide spectrum of higher education institutions, and even greater support within public institutions
  • A significant gap between an institution’s professing the importance of online learning versus those specifically citing online in their institution’s strategic planning process
  • A moderating growth rate of online learning from previous years, yet growth in online still 10 times that of traditionally taught classes.

Although the meteoric growth rate of online has leveled off to around 10% a year from a decade of 20% average per annum growth, this is to be expected. Like the growth of any new startup, tremendous expansion in the initial years is unsustainable, and when it enters its “adolescent” phase of growth, there is a marked slowdown.  We are seeing a similar trend in online education, which over the past decade has been one of the most significant trends in higher education. Once seen as apart from the norm in terms of teaching and learning, online has made significant inroads in institutions of all types and most significantly in public colleges and universities.

Institutional acceptance of online is reflected in the Babson report by how academic leaders view its importance. “The percent of institutions that agree ‘Online education is critical to the long-term strategy of my institution’ reached its highest level in 2011 (65.5%).” That viewpoint among academic leaders has increased nearly 20% from when the survey was originally conducted in 2005. Moreover, in public colleges and universities within the U.S., over three-quarters, 77% (p. 29, table) of institutions report the strategic importance of online learning. One can safely conclude that online learning in the past decade has made significant inroads at institutions similar in mission and fundamental principles as CUNY.

A second significant finding relates to the “gap” between what institutions report as strategic, versus what they codify in their actual strategic plans.

All three surveys of campus leaders revealed a striking gap: Close to, or more than two-thirds of the responding CEOs recognized that online programs are strategically important to the institution, yet close to, or less than one-half of respondents actually included online programs in the campus strategic plan. This gap exists even at a time when the number of students taking at least one online course continues to expand at a rate far in excess of the growth of overall higher education enrollments.” (Allen & Seaman, 2011, p. 9)

For public universities, this gap represents more than a third of institutions that do not include online learning as part of their strategic plan despite professing its strategic importance. In my view, you may profess what you wish, but it is not a plan, nor one of strategic importance, until it is clearly stated in writing, and that document is publicly available.

Where does CUNY fit into this report’s findings?  Is online learning of strategic importance within CUNY? Does CUNY include hybrid and online learning as key indicators of its strategic process? Does CUNY have an actual strategic plan for online learning? These questions are at the heart of this blog, and my motivation to be an agent of change for this process to move forward. Currently, I don’t see online learning considered to be of strategic importance to this university by the CUNY administration.  As a university, there is no strategic vision for online at CUNY, and no current process toward shaping an online strategic plan. However, it is my belief that these goals are both desirable and necessary, and within the not-too-distant future, achievable at this university. It starts with Envisioning Online Learning . . .

Source:

Allen, I.E. & Seaman, J. (2011). Going the Distance: Online Education in the United States 2011, Babson Survey Research Group. Retrieved  11/15/11 from, http://sloanconsortium.org/publications/survey/going_distance_2011

This entry was posted in Online Learning Policies, Procedures, Systems, Online Trends, Strategic Planning for Online. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Babson Study Confirms Strategic Importance of Online

1. Kendra–Thank you for your comments. If you look at what’s driving online learning, it’s convenience–as reflected in your post. Assuming the quality of the course is good, if not excellent, then the major concern for a student is , “Does this fit into my schedule?” Assuming that it does, and is affordable, then you have a good match. The opportunity to work in your field, plus take classes at your convenience, is an excellent way to approach lifelong learning.

2. Being a University student myself I can personally relate to the effectiveness of online learning. While at school for marketing I have had the opportunity to work at a top advertising agency and complete my coursework around my work schedule thanks to a few online classes combined with in-class courses as well. This coming semester, two out of five of my courses are online. I also find online courses easier to understand and follow as the directions explained better. Online courses also allow mature students to complete a degree while working. I firmly believe that online courses enhance learning. As mentioned in other comments however, the ‘online presence’ of a professor is very important and I have a taken a course where the professor was not full involved and it caused a lot of confusion.

3. I absolutely agree. There is a concept of “social presence” in online. It involves the extent to which students feel that the instructor is “there”, namely responsive, attentive, and there as a teacher. Anything less that that is reflective of poor quality control in that online program.

4. HansExports says:

Well I believe that online learning is very important, as long as it is moderated and the grades are given fairly. It also depends if the course at hand is realistically feasible to be taught online. I currently work from home selling import export goods, my profits are great, and I have been on the process of finishing my degree online!